Tuesday, October 19, 2010

thrifty books

2010-10-12 13.22.21

Last week Nat missed school for a dental appointment. She ended up having some work done that was not previously anticipated and after her appointment, we had the rest of the day free for us. One of the stops we made was to our local thrift store and I was quite proud of us. We looked around but what we came home with was not a load full of clothes but a few books.

Our score was Monster at Loch Ness by Sally Berke, a hardback from 1977; A paperback copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, copyright 1960 and The Ersatz Elevator, Book Six in the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.  I was absolutely thrilled with our finds for several reasons. I love old books and the older I get, the more I want to add to my collection. The Monster at Loch Ness and the Alice book both fit that and I am thrilled with how great the condition of both books are. Especially the Alice book. It had never been cracked opened it seemed. You can always tell with a paperback if it has been use and the pages are pristine with no bends or cracks. I myself don't even want to read from this one so as to maintain it's condition (fortunately for me, I have other copies).

Another new mission of mine is to collect all of the Lemony Snicket books. I once borrowed the first three books from my little cousin when the first came out. I never had a chance to read the rest of the series but was always drawn to everything about them, from the content to the author to the illustrations. One of Natalie's favorite movies is The Series of Unfortunate Events with Jim Carrey as Count Olaf. Our library only has a paperback of the first book, The Bad Beginning or, Orphans! with a few 'extra stories & extra art for no extra cents!' in the back. My other copy is book 2, The Reptile Room. The first book I found to take home that day was book 6 and I was eagerly looking for more but that's all they had.

When we came home that afternoon, I began reading to her from the Loch Ness book and we had so much fun as I tried to do an Irish accent when describing the 'monstah'. It worked some of the time but the read was very much enjoyed by the both us.

2010-10-12 13.23.03

No comments: