Friday, October 29, 2010

the spider and the fly

2010-10-26 14.17.40

Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there."
Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."

My newest favorite book we recently added to our family library is The Spider and The Fly  illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi of (Spiderwick Chronicles fame, etc.). It's actually a poem written by Mary Howitt (1799-1888), that was published in 1829. Tony DiTerlizzi has done an amazing job with it, bringing it to life with his illustrations inspired by classic Hollywood horror movies of the 1920's and 1930's. It is quite the dark cautionary tale but I fell in love instantly. My heart further rejoiced when we brought it home to Nat and she quickly exclaimed, 'I love this book!' . We found out it had been read to her at her school so she was well familiar with it and I think that helped us a bit with the storyline with her. With so many sugarcoated stories out there you never know how a child (especially my sensitive one) will react but I think Tony DiTerlizzi's illustrations really bring it in the right way.


This book was published in 2003 but as in life, sometimes I don't get to the new things when they are still new. However, it still is quite exciting when I do and I absolutely love this one!

No comments: